Sunday, March 4, 2007

"We Are The After-Christs!"


There was an anthem my youth choir used to sing entitled “I will be Christ to you.” They liked it a lot and it was filled with sentiments like “I’ll be his hands to do what I can, because he has loved me too.” Recently, for the first time ever, I started wearing a small cross,(you might remember the "Merton Cross") hoping to remind myself that in some small way I wanted to represent that way of life.
But to actually strive to BE CHRIST to someone was best left to someone bolder.
Then I came across this quote by G. Manley Hopkins:

"Christ was himself but one and lived and died but once;
But the Holy Ghost makes of every Christian another Christ;
An After- Christ who lives a million lives in every age."

I like the historical and spiritual tag, and it doesn’t quite have that “super-hero” connotation: Yes, we come after Christ and we follow after Christ, at least we try. So we are all “After-Christs” to one another. Onward, but gently…

No comments: