Saturday, April 11, 2009

Thoughts from This Year’s Holy Week (2009)




On Thursday of this Holy Week, I was humbled to have my feet washed by Padre Roger, for whom I have deep respect. I felt a little of what the apostles must have felt: to have someone you hold in esteem stoop down for this menial task just seemed wrong. As I watched him wash the feet of the rest of the twelve parishoners chosen for this rite, he seemed almost joyful at this chore, in a way showing us this is what his priesthood is about.

In his comments about the foot-washing, Padre reiterated what Jesus said, “Go and do the same.” No hundreds of laws or regulations or toeing the line. Just go and do what Jesus did. Live how He lived.

Live what you believe.

On Good Friday, Father Stan invited the assembly to come forward and, according to ritual, either touch or kiss or kneel before the image of the cross. He invited everyone to bring their joys and sorrows, the high points and low points of their lives to the cross, where they can be made a part of this redemptive act. “Bring who you are.”
As we sang, I watched hundreds of people do just that.

Believe what you live.

All through this very busy week of practices and rehearsals and services, I have found little grottoes of quiet time in which to reflect. It occurred to me over this week that my thinking is backwards, as usual------ something I probably share with a bunch of people.

I keep trying to say what it is I believe in, and act accordingly.
-------All Backwards!!------ To really know what I believe in, I have to note how I live. I cannot live a lie----at least, not for very long. It drains too much energy. If I think God is just and compassionate and forgiving, It is a result of living that way. If my actions don’t match that concept, it’s not part of my creed. If I wake up each day concerned that my fellow human beings are treated with compassion and justice and forgiveness, then it just follows that is what I believe God is.

“I believe, Lord. Help my unbelief.”





This past year, I have been trying to figure out what I put faith in. After book reading and quiet time, I thought, “Why don’t I ask the people who are around me, ‘What do you think is important to me? What do you think I believe in?’”

It was a sudden cold fear that stopped me from asking that question. I don’t know if I could live with their answers. It was that cold fear I brought to the cross on Friday.

Have a very Love-filled Easter !!

No comments: