Wednesday, February 24, 2010

"God is Energy, Not Solace"


"One thing is missing in my prayer life, one thing I am learning but may still not believe: The presence of absence is not the absence of presence. Just because I do not feel God's presence does not mean that God is absent. It only means that prayer is not about me anymore. It is about being what I know now that God means me to be.
In fact, absence is as much proof of the bondedness called "missing you" as it is a fear of distance called "you don't love me." It is the challenge to learn to trust darkness as well as light.

--------Joan Chittister, "The Breath of the Soul"







"One cannot know God as long as one seeks to solve "the problem of God." To seek to solve the problem of God is to seek to see one's own eyes. One cannot see his own eyes because they are that with which he sees and God is the light by which we see------ by which we see not a clearly defined "object" called God, but everything else in the invisible one... We exist solely for this, to be the place He has chosen for His presence, His manifestation in the world, His epiphany." (Thomas Merton)

No comments: