Friday, January 18, 2008

My Pre-Lenten Clutter (My Karma just ran over my Dogma)

I clean my office/studio three times a year: after Christmas, After Easter, and just before school starts in September. Usually by then, the piles of papers have re-attained the height of the trees from whence they came, and could cause serious bodily harm should they "Timber!!!" It's not something I look forward to, and I usually fall into it while looking for an important piece of paper in the morning. I throw up my hands, mildly curse, pull out the shredder and the "body-bag"-sized trash bags and I'm still at it at late afternoon, with a fiendish revengeful smirk on my face. Once I start, I really enjoy it. There's a wonderful feeling of accomplishment and renewal --- like New Year's Day!! (Of course, within a few days the papers have all been raked back on my desk---a bonfire just waiting to happen.)

And this be my pre-Lent mindset. Clutter is all over the place, my "piling system" for ideas has become a muddle.There's a lot of junk-thinking going on, making it hard to have a clear thought. There are concepts that I've accepted without thinking through, concepts that don't stand up to scrutiny. I'll be blunt: these usually come from the teachings of "organized" religion, especially "Christian" churches, in particular, the Vatican. As I hope to clarify down the line, a lot of these pseudo-dogmas are simply excuses, alibis, and band-aids for poor reasoning or hidden agendas.

Then there are valid ideas, worthwhile and completely opposite of each other. ["The opposite of a profound truth is not falsehood, but often an equally profound truth."]
These I look forward to exploring.

No comments: