Monday, May 5, 2008


After looking at all the portraits and icons and representations of "GOD" that all the different cultures and religions have put up to aid in understanding and worship, reading all the tales, fables, proverbs and scriptures attempting to read the creator's mind and convey that message to others, unless you are completely sold on one viewpoint (which I suppose is still possible, even with our expanding consciousness) you reach a point of choice: you can reject them all, intellectual smugness intact, or you can embrace them all and then some. You can say:"All this only begins to give meaning to my being alive and my consciousness of it." My image of the creator is a kind of omnipotent and omni-PRESENT chameleon. God can be all of these things, none of them, or something else entirely. God can be anything but limited. Put the creator in a temple, mosque, church, cave, or a nicely bound book, and that spirit will find a way out. This is why Buddhist tend to dismiss any discussion of a God or an afterlife as "not-edifying."



But this does not mean I have no spiritual life. Indeed, I think I have a closer, richer, and yes, even more personal involvement, the more I let go, and LET GOD DEFINE GOD in each moment. I can pick up a rosary, read the Qur'an, meditate and chant,-----all these can be fruitful paths. But the goal is not a definition of God but an understanding of this life, why I have been given the gift of awareness of this existence, and what am I to do with that gift.



In the process, I can look at God's creation and my movement through it without the trepidation and fear that organizers of "isms" would foist on followers


and instead
truly rejoice that I'm a part of something that, even though I don't understand it completely, moves me with meaning and divine love.





Peace





Be Still





Know





I AM HERE.









The intuitive mind is a sacred gift
and the rational mind is a faithful servant.
We have created a society that honors the servant
and has forgotten the gift.
(Albert Einstein)



Alas! The world is full of enormous lights and mysteries,
and man shuts them from himself with one small hand.
(The Baal Shem Tov)




I saw my Lord with the eye of the heart.
I said: "Who are you?"
He answered: "You."
(Mansur Al-Hallaj)

No comments: